Since becoming a pescatarian, I haven’t had a marshmallow. Recently, I saw some Dandies Vegan Marshmallows (GMO-free too!) at Wegman’s, so I scooped them up. They are pretty legit!
Once I had the marshmallows, it was time to make some s’mores. I don’t know about you, but I always hated the classic recipe: crunchy graham cookies that fall apart immediately and a half-melty chocolate bar that does not always make it into every bite. Not to mention all of the questionable ingredients in conventional graham crackers. Something had to be done.
This Homemade Bourbon S’mores recipe is so good! It’s mild enough that it’s not too boozy for children (although I might omit the bourbon in the chocolate sauce), but it still can be considered an adult treat!
Homemade Bourbon S’moresCourse: Uncategorized
Homemade graham cookies (see recipe below)
Dandies Vegan Marshmallows (from the store or Amazon)
Homemade Chocolate Sauce (see recipe below)
- For the cookies:
2 ½ c. organic whole wheat pastry flour, like Bob’s Red Mill
½ c. flaxseed, ground
½ tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ c. coconut oil, softened
½ c. organic non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, like Spectrum
¾ c. coconut sugar
2 T. pure maple syrup
2 T. bourbon (I used my cardamom-infused bourbon – so good!)
- For the chocolate sauce:
1-2 T. coconut oil
1/3 c. carob or unsweetened cocoa powder (I use a blend of dark and regular cocoa)
4-5 T. pure maple syrup
pinch of sea salt
pinch of cinnamon
splash of bourbon
- Directions for the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, flax, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar, coconut oil, shortening, maple syrup and bourbon. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the fridge. Work the dough with your hands to loosen it up. (Add a smidge of coconut oil to your hands while kneading, and it will loosen the dough and keep it from crumbling.)
- On a well-floured surface (or between two pieces of parchment paper), roll the dough to about a half-inch in width. Cut the cookies into the desired shapes and bake for about 10 minutes – about 4 minutes per side (flip in the middle).
- Place on a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
- I like to double this recipe and freeze the extra cookies so I have them on hand for s’more emergencies!
- Directions for the chocolate sauce:
- In a microwave-safe container (or you can do this on the stove, too), add the sauce ingredients – except for the bourbon – and microwave for 20 seconds. Stir the mixture and microwave again for 20 seconds. Stir it again, and now it’s ready to go – how easy is that?!
- For the s’mores:
- Construct your s’mores however you want! You can pre-make them or have a s’more bar to have guests make their own!
This is one summer Homemade Bourbon S’mores recipe that you’ll want to add to your family’s tradition!