This is the third instalment for my 4th of July series; my first two were the Homemade Bourbon S’mores and the Gin Blueberry Cheesecake With Strawberry Topping. This Vegan Bourbon Berry Tart recipe uses elements from those two. With that said, you could easily use all three for a 4th of July picnic without breaking the bank with many ingredients!
Bourbon Berry TartCourse: Uncategorized
Homemade Graham Dough (click here for the recipe)
Coconut Whipped Cream (see below for recipe)
Strawberry Topping (see below for recipe)
Blueberries and Sliced Strawberries
- Coconut Whipped Cream Ingredients:
2 cans of coconut milk, chilled in the fridge for at least 24 hours
Stand mixer bowl with whisk attachment, chilled in the fridge for at least 30 minutes
2 T. organic cane sugar
Splash of bourbon (just a little)
- Strawberry Topping Ingredients:
1 c. strawberries, halved
1/4 c. organic cane sugar
1/4 c. bourbon
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 T. cornstarch
1 T. water
- For the graham crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a spring-form pan with coconut oil or vegan butter. Once you follow this recipe to make the dough, do not refrigerate it; grab half of the dough mixture and press it into the pan. Make it flat and even. (You’ll have half of the dough leftover; consider making some graham crackers or cheesecake with it!)
- Bake the crust for about 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the crust cool completely.
- For the coconut whipped cream:
- For this recipe, you only need one can, but it’s helpful to have two, just in case the cream does not separate from the water. CAREFULLY – do not shake – open the can of coconut milk and scoop the thick cream from the top of the can into the chilled bowl; you do not want any of the watery stuff. (You can use the remainder for smoothies or for the aforementioned cheesecake recipe!)
- Whip the cream in your stand mixer for about 5 minutes on high until the cream is nice and fluffy. It should have relatively stiff peaks by the end of the process. Add the sugar and bourbon at the beginning of the process and taste it along the way.
- For the strawberry topping:
- In a small saucepan, heat the strawberries, sugar, bourbon, and lemon juice over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the strawberries are soft and squishy. In the meantime, combine the cornstarch and water in a small cup; whisk to combine. Once the strawberries are soft, add the cornstarch/water mixture and stir until the strawberry reduction thickens. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Arrange your fruit and toppings in a fun, patriotic pattern! Warning: if your strawberries are still warm, they will melt the whipped cream.
Enjoy this summery Vegan Bourbon Berry tart at your next picnic!