Recently, we hosted our first barbecue as a family of three — and whew! — was it exhausting! I don’t know how people do it all the time with a little one(s). Relinquishing control of my house to friends and helpers was a big step for control-freak me. I cared for the baby while others sliced watermelon and put trays of food out. I’m not gonna lie: it went well, but a few tears were shed afterwards.
One of the desserts I made was this biscotti. Since having Little Ru, baking and cooking have once again become an outlet for me; it’s such a re-welcomed pleasure! I really dropped it when I was pregnant and had morning sickness…and only picked it back up over the last two or three months.
This Biscotti with Amaretto Chocolate Ganache Recipe is yummy and easy to make — and the amaretto chocolate ganache — well, it may just coat everything I make from now on 😉 It’s THAT tasty.
Biscotti with Amaretto Chocolate Ganache RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
- Almond Biscotti
2 1/2 c. organic whole wheat pastry flour or organic white flour
1 tsp. baking powder, aluminum-free
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 c. coconut oil, softened
1 c. coconut sugar or organic cane sugar
2 T. flax seed, ground
6 T. warm water
2 tsp. almond extract
Additional water, as needed
- Amaretto Chocolate Ganache
Adapted from Edible South Florida
4 oz. dark chocolate
3 T. dairy-free milk or dairy-free creamer
A pinch of sea salt
2 T. amaretto (try making your own!)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a small cup, combine the flax and warm water. Stir and set side for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Start to add in the other ingredients: coconut oil, flax mixture, and extract. I used my hands to squish this mixture together. If your mixture needs extra liquid to come together, add water one tablespoon at a time until a dough is formed.
- After everything’s combined, make the dough into a shape of a football. It should be about an inch high. Bake the biscotti for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow the biscotti to cool for 5 minutes and slice it while it’s still warm. Let it cool. If you want the biscotti to be a bit harder, place the sliced pieces back in the oven (while off) for a few more minutes. This Biscotti with Amaretto Chocolate Ganache Recipe yields about 12 cookies, but I sliced mine in half, so I had 24 cookies for the party.
- For the ganache: Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate and other ganache ingredients. Whisk until melted and smooth. Dip the cookies or drizzle it on top — I added some crushed nuts to mine!
Enjoy these classy cookies — cheers!