I’ve got graham crackers on the brain lately.
Last week, I made this mousse pie that had a chocolate graham cracker crust. Yum! But I also knew that I needed a stand-alone recipe for chocolate (GF!) graham crackers to update my vegan s’mores recipe.
When I took these cookies to my taste testers (AKA my salon), my stylist Maddie said: “You want this flavor to stay in your mouth.” I couldn’t have said it better myself! Why make boring s’mores with crunchy crackers when you can have the chewy goodness of homemade cookies?!
Boozy Chocolate Graham Crackers (Gluten-free)Course: Uncategorized
2 c. gluten-free baking mix (or regular flour)
1/2 c. coconut sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder, aluminum-free
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. coconut oil, softened
1 T. vanilla-infused bourbon (learn more about infusing your own liquors!)
3 T. pure maple syrup
2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa powder. Keep it on the side once done.
- Cream the coconut oil and coconut sugar together in a big mixing bowl. Stir in the whiskey and maple syrup. Incorporate all of the dry ingredients slowly. At this stage, your dough should be coming together.
- Roll out the dough to around a 1/4 inch between two sheets of floured parchment. Using a cake cutter or a cookie cutter, cut out s’more-sized cookies. With this recipe, you should be able to make at least 20 cookies. Continue until all of the dough has been used.
- Refrigerate the cut-outs for 15 minutes after placing them on baking sheets. Bake them for around 15 minutes when you’re finished. They shouldn’t spread out; instead, they should mildly puff up. Allow for full cooling of the cookies.
- For this batch, I made a simple glaze with powdered sugar and water. You could dunk them in chocolate or get them ready for s’mores with my homemade chocolate sauce.
Summer is here — make these graham crackers. You won’t be sorry!