I can feel summer in the air. It’s been in the 80’s and gorgeous the last few weeks.
A few months ago, I made some Amaretto Peach Shortcakes that were pretty amazing. Since summer is around the corner, I wanted to make another shortcake recipe.
I really love these homemade shortcakes. These shortcakes are more biscuit-like than cake-like. The pre-made shortcakes that they sell in grocery stores are like weird little sponge cakes. If you ask me, they’re too soft and fake tasting. Mine are substantial and pop with lemon flavor!
Strawberry Mango ShortcakesCourse: Uncategorized
- Strawberry Mango Shortcakes
1 1/2 T. organic cane sugar
2 c. organic whole wheat pastry flour
1 T. baking powder, aluminum-free
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
6 T. coconut oil, softened
1/2 c. almond milk
1/4 c. gin or vodka
zest of one lemon
- For the fruit topping:
1 c. mango, diced
1 c. strawberries, halved
1 T. lemon juice
1/4 c. pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a food processor, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and lemon zest. Pulse this mixture with the coconut oil until it resembles a meal. Add the gin and milk and continue to pulse. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap (in log form) and refrigerate it for 10-15 minutes.
- When you’re ready, take the log out of the fridge and slice it into eight even pieces. Place the slices of dough on the prepared baking sheet. Bake them for about 15 minutes.
- For the topping: in a medium-sized sauce pan, combine the ingredients and cook them until the fruit is soft (over medium heat).
- Drizzle the fruit over each shortcake and enjoy! The lemon zest pops in each shortcake, while the fruit topping just screams summer 🙂