Many of my recipes are the result of happy accidents and adaptability. This one is no exception!
And, whether you’re aware of it or not, February is National Pancake Month and I’ve been slow to participate. I do have some amazing Mimosa Pancakes you can try too. That type of stuff is in the RECIPE INDEX under Breakfast.
These pancakes are gluten-free – and you can’t tell. I’ll admit, sometimes gluten-free things taste a little gritty to me, but these pancakes are perfect. You could probably sub in some whole wheat pastry flour for the gluten-free baking mix, so don’t sweat it if you don’t have any on hand.
I also love the dark, caramel-ly color of these pancakes; their look and taste remind me a little of fritters, hence the name. Their darker, caramel color comes from the maple syrup and bourbon apple filling. So, in addition to being gluten-free, these puppies are refined sugar-free as well! It’s a win-win for everyone 🙂
Note: Make sure that you add the extra water to make the batter pourable. Otherwise you’re going to have some weirdly lumpy pancakes! This recipe makes about 8-10 pancakes, depending on their size.
Bourbon Apple Fritter PancakesCourse: Uncategorized
2 c. gluten-free baking mix with xanthan gum added
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sea salt
1/3 c. pure maple syrup
2/3 c. almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
2/3 c. bourbon apple filling, recipe here
1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
2 T. vanilla-infused bourbon (learn more about infusing your own liquor!)
1/2 c. water, more as needed
- Over medium heat, heat a medium-sized frying pan with some olive oil or vegan butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: baking mix, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour in the syrup, milk, vanilla bourbon, and coconut oil. Stir until everything is well mixed. Add in the apple filling. At this point, you want the batter to be runny, not chunky. Slowly add the water in and stir until the consistency is pourable. Add more water if you need to.
- Using a 1/3 cup, pour the batter in the hot pan. Cook the pancake until the batter bubbles, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancake and cook it for another minute. Repeat this process with the entire bowl of batter.
- These pancakes are so rich and spicy – it feels like you’re eating something sinful! Don’t worry, no one will notice that they’re sugar-free and gluten-free!