What’s fall without some cinnamon and spices?!
I’ll be the first to admit: I’m a cinnamon addict. I will pretty much add it to anything. My dad is a purist and likes things made according to tradition; for me, I’ll add a dash of cinnamon to everything…chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, blueberry pie, etc. My dad hates it when I add cinnamon to his blueberry pie (but it just tastes so darn good)!
This Kraken Cinnamon Spice Cookies Recipe celebrates cinnamon; it’s a variation on a cinnamon butter/shortbread cookie. They’re soft and chewy and fabulous!
As a side note, they’re also a little infuriating – the dough tends to be a little tough to handle. If that’s the case for you, add a little smear of coconut oil to your fingers and work the dough a little more.
Kraken Cinnamon Spice Cookies RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
2 c. organic whole wheat pastry flour, like Bob’s Red Mill
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch, or arrowroot powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 c. organic non-hydrogenated shortening, like Spectrum
1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
1 1/4 c. coconut sugar
1 T. flaxseed, ground
3 T. dark spiced rum, like Kraken
2 tsp. vanilla
Vegan sanding sugar, for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Line a cookie sheet with either a Silpat or parchment paper.
- In a small cup, combine the flax and rum. Stir to combine and let it sit about 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt. Set it aside.
- In a larger bowl, combine the shortening, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Add the Kraken/flax mixture. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients.
- Using a cookie scoop or your hands, form tablespoon-sized balls and flatten them out with your hands on the cookie sheet. Dust them with sanding sugar. If you want them to spread out less, stick them in the fridge for 10-20 minutes before baking.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. Let them cool for 10 minutes or so and transfer them to a cooling rack. This Kraken Cinnamon Spice Cookies Recipe yields about 24 cookies.
- As I said, the dough’s a little infuriating, but you will love the soft, chewy flavour of these cookies!