This post brings tidings of great joy! It’s Vegan Month of Food, aka Vegan MoFo!
Let me tell you a little about VeganMoFo – from the official site:
This month, I’m going to try to write tidbits about vegan eating and vegan products, in addition to recipes.
I know that it’s only September 1st, but I have big plans for fall. Pumpkins usually get all of the spotlight, but I’m working on an entire apple series; this would be the first recipe.
This apple butter is super-simple and delicious. I have several other recipes to pair it with, much like I did for my Homemade Knockoff Nutella. If you have a slow cooker and a little time, you can have apple butter.
It makes a great seasonal gift!
When you make this, prepare the items about 5 hours before you plan on going to bed. That way, you can add the second round of ingredients and wake up to fresh apple butter.
Boozy Bourbon Apple ButterCourse: Uncategorized
14-15 apples, preferably organic (mine were on the small side; about 10-12 normal apples)
1 generous T. vanilla
1/4 c. cardamom-infused bourbon (learn more about infusing your own liquors!)
3 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. organic cane sugar
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
additional splash of bourbon
- Wash, peel, core, and slice your apples. This is honestly the hardest part of making apple butter.
- Throw the apples, vanilla, and bourbon into the slow cooker. Cook these items on low for 5 hours.
- Right before bed, add the remaining ingredients and stir. Continue to cook it on low for another 8 hours.
- In the morning, scoop the cooked mixture out of the slow cooker and into a high speed blender. Puree until it is smooth. Refrigerate for 5 days or freeze it for 3 months.
- This apple butter recipe yields about 4-5 cups. Eat it on toast, make a coffee cake, cinnamon rolls, or raisin bread!