Carrot cake is my mom’s favourite cake. Lately, though, she’s had issues with dairy. This is actually a cake that won’t upset her stomach!
This rum raisin carrot cake with apricot & coconut glaze is dense and moist but a delightful addition to any meal!
Rum Raisin Carrot Cake with Apricot & Coconut Glaze RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour, like Bob’s Red Mill
1 c. coconut sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder, aluminum-free
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 c. carrot, grated (about 3 medium-sized carrots)
1/2 c. almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
1/4 c. spiced rum, like Kraken
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp . apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. raisins (feel free to soak these in rum overnight beforehand)
1/2 c. chopped nuts, either pecans or walnuts
- For the Apricot & Coconut Glaze:
3 T. apricot jam
3 to 4 T. coconut butter or cream (not oil)
1/4 c. pure maple syrup, more as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a bundt pan with coconut oil or organic shortening. Sprinkle the pan with a little bit of flour.
- Combine the vinegar and milk in a small cup; give the mixture time to thicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil, vanilla, rum, and milk/vinegar mixture. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the large bowl. Stir until combined. Stir in (by hand) the carrots, raisins, and nuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake it for about 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the cake to make sure that it’s done. It should come out clean.
- In a small saucepan, combine the ingredients and bring them to a boil. Once everything is combined thoroughly and is bubbling, remove it from the heat.
- Once the cake is cooled, pour the glaze over it.
- Enjoy the complex flavours of this spicy rum raisin carrot cake with apricot & coconut glaze; I know you’ll love it!