Searching for a Peppermint Schnapps Biscotti with Chocolate Drizzle Recipe?
Biscotti is one of my mom’s favourite cookies, especially to dunk in her tea. (I’m in the soft cookie faction, so these aren’t always my favourite.) In the past, I’ve made Coffee Bourbon Biscotti and Chocolate Almond Biscotti (made with almond milk pulp!). These Peppermint Schnapps Biscotti with Chocolate were a pleasant surprise that I discovered years ago on another cookie tray. I loved them!
I always under-cook my biscotti a little because I don’t like to break my jaw when I bite into them, haha. The biscotti has a subtle peppermint flavour with little bursts of peppermint candy. I really like that balance, and I hope you will too. And who doesn’t love chocolate drizzled on top of anything?
If you read this blog regularly, you know that I try not to use junk in my recipes: no artificial flavours, no corn syrup, etc. Candy canes and peppermints can be tricky, especially this time of the year. Amazon is sold out of a lot of natural and organic candy canes, but if I had to recommend one to you, it would be Tru Sweets Organic Candy Canes. They’re gluten-free, vegan, kosher, artificial colouring-free, and corn syrup-free! If you’re going to feed your kids and family members candy canes this holiday season, these are candy canes you can feel less guilty about!
If you buy whole candy canes, just pulse them around in your food processor to chop them up into pieces. You can easily use them in this Peppermint Schnapps Biscotti with Chocolate Drizzle Recipe.
Peppermint Schnapps Biscotti with Chocolate Drizzle RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
2 c. organic whole wheat pastry flour, like Bob’s Red Mill
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. sea salt
2 T. flaxseed, ground
8 T. peppermint schnapps (learn more about infusing your own liquor!)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ c. coconut oil, softened or room temperature
¾ c. coconut sugar
1 c. chopped peppermint candy
Additional chopped peppermint candy, for sprinkling
Melted chocolate, for drizzling
- For the biscotti:
- For this Peppermint Schnapps Biscotti with Chocolate Drizzle Recipe, preheat the oven to 325°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Mix the flaxseed and tablespoons of schnapps in a small cup. Let it rest for 10 minutes, so it becomes thicker.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla. Add flaxseed/schnapps mixture until ingredients are incorporated. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl along with the chopped candies. If your mixture is not binding properly, add a tablespoon of water while the mixer is going. Your final product should look like this:
- Place the dough on the cookie sheet and flatten it out to about ¾ of an inch in thickness. You can make it the shape of a football. (If you prefer shorter slices of biscotti, make three smaller footballs.) I’m putting these on cookie trays, so I want smaller pieces.
- Bake the biscotti for about 30 minutes. (Try 15-20 minutes for two smaller pieces.) Insert a toothpick and make sure it comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes.
- After, place the giant piece of biscotti on a cutting board and cut it into slices while it’s still a bit warm. (If you want to be fancy, you can cut it diagonally.) If you like softer biscotti, leave it on the cooling rack to cool completely. If you want standard, crunchier biscotti, place the slices on their slide and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Drizzle some chocolate on top of the biscotti and sprinkle it with additional peppermint candies. These cookies are soooo good! They’re always a staple on my holiday cookie trays.
I hope you enjoy them 🙂