As you may know, the combination of cranberry and vodka has a special place in my heart.
It’s getting to be potluck and holiday party season. We’re going to a potluck tonight and I’m bringing these beauties. They’re a great, easy side dish to bring - and who doesn’t love cornbread?! At my husband’s office, cornbread is always one of the first things to go.
Depending on the time of the year, fresh cranberries can be difficult to find. For this recipe, I opted for frozen, because they are always available and I know where to find them. You can chop them up or run them through the food processor a few times.
The cranberries add a touch of class to your typical cornbread recipe. It’s definitely a cool and unique flavor: the coconut sugar adds the sweetness and the cranberries add a tart zip. This recipe’s adapted from an old Betty Crocker booklet.
Cranberry & Courage Holiday CornbreadCourse: Uncategorized
1 1/4 c. organic whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 c. cornmeal, preferably non-GMO
1/3 c. coconut sugar
2 tsp. baking powder, aluminum-free
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 ripe banana, smushed
1/2 c. almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
1/4 c. vodka (learn more about infusing your own vodka!)
1/4 c. coconut oil, softened
1 c. frozen cranberries, chopped
3 T. coconut sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease an 8×8 oven-safe dish with coconut oil or organic shortening.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger mixing bowl, cream the 1/3 cup of coconut sugar, banana, and coconut oil. Add the vodka and almond milk. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the mix. Scrape the sides as needed. Stir the cranberries in by hand.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out with a spatula. Sprinkle the batter with a few tablespoons of coconut sugar.
- Bake the cornbread for 25-30 minutes. Insert a toothpick to be sure that it comes out clean; that means it’s done!
- Allow it to cool for 20 minutes and then it’s ready to serve. It is PERFECT to serve for holiday dinners!