Looking for a delicious Black Magic Blackberry Pies Recipe?
I haven’t made hand pies for a while. For those of you who are Pop-Tart enthusiasts, making your own hand pies makes life so much better! You know what’s in them, and they taste so good!
Normally, I would make my own filling for these (from frozen blackberries), but I decided to cut a few corners this time. With that said, it was difficult to find a vegan blackberry jam! I did find one at Wegman’s, the best place ever, but – ALAS – it has corn syrup in it.
Lesson learned: it’s better to make your own. Or buy organic.
You can reduce the fruit on the stovetop with some maple syrup until it becomes thick and jam-like.
Black Magic Blackberry Pies RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
Adapted from 100 Days of Real Food
2 1/4 c. organic whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 c. organic non-hydrogenated shortening, like Spectrum, placed in the freezer for 15 minutes
1/4 c. very cold gin
1/2 c. blackberry jam, for the filling
- To make this Black Magic Blackberry Pies Recipe, preheat the oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place your cup of shortening in the freezer.
- In the meantime, in a food processor, combine the flour and salt. After 15 minutes, add the shortening to the processor and run until the mixture resembles a meal. While the processor is running, stream in the gin until the dough comes together. You may not use all of the gin.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough. (I usually start with two chunks and roll out each one separately.) Using a circular cookie cutter, cut as many circles as you can; I can get six 3-4 inch circles out of each half of the dough, which makes six total pies (12 circles). Cut out smaller shapes on the tops of the pies, if desired.
- Select which pieces will serve as bottoms. With a brush, wipe each one with water. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of jam onto each bottom and spread it around, but not too close to the edges. Add the tops to the pies and use a fork to seal the edges (this is why brushing the water is important).
- Bake the pies for 15-18 minutes.
- Jam may ooze from the holes, but that’s part of the charm of these pies!