Like most sensible people, I love the flavour of pistachio, pure and simple. Recently though, it’s seemed like there has been an influx of fake pistachio flavour (and foods dyed that bright mint green). There’s nothing worse than fake pistachio flavour…I just got ruined by some gross, artificial pistachio ice cream, so this topic is fresh on my mind. Natural pistachio flavour/colour will look like a not-so-pretty dull green — not bright mint green.
And I’ll be honest: these cookies made from this Lemon Pistachio Cookies Recipe are not lookers. They appear to be a little dull looking…but that could not be farther from the truth in regards to their taste! These little cookies are flavour ninjas! When you take the first bite, you are pleasantly surprised by a burst of lemon flavour. They taste bright and happy and, quite frankly, are perfect for spring. The toasted pistachios add a nutty, smoky flavour to the lemons’ brightness.
This Lemon Pistachio Cookies Recipe uses very little sugar and a touch of cornmeal. While I’ve used Bob’s Red Mill Blue Cornmeal, it’s more coarse. I thought that these poor cookies didn’t need any extra weird colours in them, plus I wanted the batter to be a little less gritty. I used white cornmeal that was ground finely.
Lemon Pistachio Cookies Recipefor SpringCourse: Uncategorized
1/2 c. vegan butter, melted
1/4 c. organic sugar
Zest of two lemons
2 tsp. vanilla-infused bourbon (learn more about infusing your own!)
1 flax egg (3 T. water + 1 T. ground flax seed = stir and let sit for 5 minutes)
1 c. organic flour*
1/4 c. cornmeal
1 tsp. baking powder, aluminum-free
1/2 tsp. sea salt
For Rolling: 2 T. organic sugar; 1/4 c. chopped pistachios; and the zest of one lemon, combined in a shallow bowl
*Although I haven’t tried it, I’m fairly certain that you could sub a gluten-free baking mix in for the flour. Someone try it and let me know!
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat. This Lemon Pistachio Cookies Recipe makes 12-15 cookies, depending on the size of your scooper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, zest of two lemons, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Stir and then create a well in the middle of the mixture.
- Add in the flax egg, vanilla, and melted vegan butter. Stir until everything is just combined — don’t over-mix the dough.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop a dollop of dough into the rolling ingredients and coat each cookie. These cookies do not spread very much, so you may need to smush them down a bit before baking.
- Bake the cookies for 18-20 minutes. (Watch your first batch after 15 minutes and go from there.)
- Enjoy these yummy bites of spring and pair them with a nice cup of tea 😉