This month, I’ve had the pleasure of working with both Dandies and OXO. For my review, OXO sent me a colander, tomato (or grape) cutter, and mandolin in exchange for using their name and providing an original recipe. This Vegan Veggie Bowl with Quinoa Recipe is such a healthy, light meal!
With or without their sponsorship, I’ve been a big fan of OXO for years. Their products are among some of my favourites, including ones from Cuisinart and Kitchen Aid. I find that OXO products hold up a little better than their cheaper counterparts, and they’re mostly ergonomically made.
First, let’s talk about the colander — it’s lightweight but not cheap, bendable plastic. It’s sturdy. The holes in it are tiny because they are designed for small grains like quinoa. Nothing gets through them, I promise!
The tomato and grape cutter is quite fancy, although I’m not one for extra gadgets. It took me a little bit to get the swing of it; I encourage you to use firm grapes or tomatoes. One possible advantage I see with using this gadget is for small children: by cutting up the grapes and tomatoes, they’re less likely to be a choking hazard. And this cutter is probably a smidge faster than chopping the tomatoes and grapes by hand.
Lastly, I’m in love with this mandolin. I’ve been meaning to get one for a while but didn’t get around to it. It’s so easy to use, and it slices any vegetable into beautiful, even slices. Look out — I may be making some more dehydrated treats to share with you soon! In addition, it’s much easier to clean than my spiralizer. That’s for sure.
Vegan Veggie Bowls with Quinoa RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
1 small zucchini
1/2 of an onion
2 bell peppers
2 medium-sized carrots
8 oz. of cherry tomatoes
1/2 c. fresh pineapple, diced
2 T. olive oil
5 green onions, sliced for garnish
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 c. cooked quinoa
Asian sauce for topping, or see below for a recipe
- Homemade Asian Sauce
Adapted from Food Network
1/4 c. hoisin sauce
1/4 c. agave nectar
3 T. ketchup
2 T. soy sauce
1 T. sriracha or other chili sauce
Water, as needed to thin it out
- For this Vegan Veggie Bowl with Quinoa Recipe, after the vegetables are washed and cleaned, use the hand-held mandolin to slice each — except for the tomatoes. I used the setting 3.5 for most of my slices of veggies.
- As for the cherry tomatoes, quarter them using the tomato cutter.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When it’s warm, place the onions in the pan and cook until they are translucent. Toss in the veggies and pineapple and cook them until they soften a bit, about 10 minutes.
- Once everything is cooked, layer your bowl with quinoa, black beans, and vegetables. You should be able to get 3-4 servings out of this, depending on how big your appetite is! Top your bowl with green onions and your choice of sauce.
- Enjoy this veggie bowl as a Meatless Monday meal or any time 🙂
Leave a Reply