Are you searching for a Mini Lavender Cakes Recipe?
It’s been an emotional few weeks at M&M headquarters.
My husband and I are in the process of moving from our home in Virginia and relocating to South Carolina. We’re in the process of saying goodbyes to our local friends who we’ve come to know and love. I’ve been pretty good so far (in public!), but I’ve been a little weepy at home.
I’ve become particularly attached to my salon and my stylist, Maddie. I knew I liked Maddie the minute that I met her. I was planning to move to Virginia after my wedding, so I went down a few months before my wedding to scout out the area. I went to the salon and had Maddie do my hair — and it looked fab! I’ve been a loyal customer ever since; I even got my hair done for my wedding at the salon. I’m closing the chapter of my newlywed life.
My last salon appointment was Friday. Knowing that Maddie adores lavender anything, with this Mini Lavender Cakes Recipe, I made these mini lavender cakes for her and the rest of the salon ladies. They were based on my Royal Rose-Scented Cupcakes because the rose and lavender are comparable. I used my adorable muffin pan from World Market, and my lavender was from WM too — they have the best prices on lavender (and vanilla beans).
And, in case you were wondering, Maddie did a fabulous job on my hair again. As usual 😉
PS – Check out this Maddie-inspired Roasted Peach Bourbon Ice Cream recipe!
Mini Lavender Cakes RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
2 c. cake flour
1 c. organic cane sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder, aluminum-free
1/3 c. coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. vinegar
3/4 c. water
1/4 c. gin, or lavender-infused liquor (learn more about infusions here!)
1 tsp. lavender oil, optional
- For the simple syrup
1/4 c. organic cane sugar
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. dried lavender (culinary grade)
- For the topping
1/4 c. Sugar In the Raw
1 tsp. dried lavender, muddled with a mortar and pestle
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease mini cake pans with coconut oil or organic shortening. You can also use 12 cupcake liners for this Mini Lavender Cakes Recipe.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a big mixing bowl: flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir it up a little. In the centre of the dry ingredients, make a well. Keep this aside once done.
- Make sure you have all of your wet ingredients on hand. To ensure that the reaction runs smoothly, combine all of the ingredients at the same moment. Pour them into the well and stir with a wooden spoon and some elbow grease (or use your mixer). Stir until the batter thickens, and all is mixed.
- Fill your cupcake tins about two-thirds full; these cupcakes puff up quite properly. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow for full cooling of the cakes. Using a toothpick to remove the sides of each cake as it cools. The cakes should eventually wiggle out.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, mix all of the ingredients for the simple syrup. Get the mixture to a boil, then reduce to low heat. Be sure the sugar is fully melted. Remove it from the heat until it has reduced marginally and allowed to cool. Remove the lavender with a strainer.
- Brush a layer of syrup on each cake after it has cooled. Brush on a second coat until it has dried and/or soaked in.
- RECOMMENDATION Save the basic syrup for your drinks if you have some leftover.
- Sprinkle each cake with some sugar and muddled lavender. These cakes have a subtle lavender taste, but enough that makes your belly happy 🙂