I’m am so stoked for today’s post for multiple reasons.
The Steelers are playing the Ravens tonight in Thursday night football. Being from Pittsburgh, it’s ingrained in my DNA to love and support the Steelers. Even if you’re not a football fan – or, dare I say, support another team – you can still appreciate these cupcakes.
Second, this steelers stout cupcakes recipe has a strong, pleasant stout flavour. Made from melted vegan marshmallows and beer, the centre is chewy and light. In addition, the vegan chocolate ganache is stupid-easy to make and makes the cupcakes shine. Literally.
What also makes me happy about today’s post is the detail of my new camera. It brings out the best in these steelers stout cupcakes!
Lastly, my dog Clem is an adorable creeper. I’m trying to take pictures of these delicious steelers stout cupcakes but she’s creeping in the background. So stinkin’ cute.
Steelers Stout Cupcakes with Marshmallow Centers RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
2 1/4 c. organic whole wheat pastry flour, like Bob’s Red Mill
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder, or carob powder
1 c. coconut sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder, aluminum-free
1/4 c. organic cane sugar
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 c. stout, or other dark beer
2 T. almond milk, or coffee-infused bourbon (learn more about infusing your own liquor!)
1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chocolate chips, dairy-free, like Enjoy Life
- For the Marshmallow Center:
8-`10 large vegan marshmallows, like Dandies
2 T. pure maple syrup
1/4 c. stout
- For the Chocolate Ganache:
1-2 T. coconut oil, melted
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder, or carob powder
4-5 T pure maple syrup
A pinch of sea salt
A pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a muffin pan with parchment cups.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugars, oil, vanilla, and milk. Add the stout. Slowly start to incorporate the dry ingredients until everything is mixed well. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared liners. The recipe yields 12 cupcakes.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 15-20 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the centre of the cakes to ensure that they are done. Make sure the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely.
- Right before you plan on stuffing the cupcakes, core them. I just used a butter knife, although I do have a fancy corer; it’s almost more work just to use it!
- In the meantime, prepare the filling: In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine the syrup, beer, and marshmallows. Cook until the marshmallows are melted, and the mixture is thick. Spoon the warm filling into each cored cupcake. (You can also bake each cupcake with a big marshmallow inside it, although I’ve never tried it, and it might not be as chewy as mine).
- After you can prepare the ganache: In a small microwaveable container, melt the coconut oil and maple syrup for about 30 seconds. Add the rest of the ganache ingredients to the bowl and stir. If the ganache gets too firm, keep stirring; it should loosen up again. Spoon the ganache onto each cupcake and allow it to dry. (Or don’t. Just bite into it all gooey and stuff).
- Promise me that you’ll try this steelers stout cupcakes recipe for your next football party. Or red carpet event. Or Thursday.