If you made my Billiard Room Black Bean Pizza, you know how delicious it is! With that said, the crust is very easy to make too.
With tailgating season upon us, I wanted to make an easy variation on that recipe. These black bean calzones take pureed black beans with herbs and spices and puts them in a perfect, portable pocket!
Add some salsa – you’re good to go!
I’ve also made these with cashew cheese and basil. I can’t even tell you how amazing they were.
I CAN’T EVEN.
Black Bean Calzones with Beer CrustCourse: Uncategorized
makes two medium pizza crusts, probably 6-8 mini calzones
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour (or whole wheat bread flour)
2 c. bread flour or organic all-purpose flour
2 T. yeast
1 tsp. baking powder, aluminum-free
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 bottle of room temperature lager, like Yuengling (12 oz)
- This is so easy!
- Using a stand mixer with a dough hook (or your hands), combine all of the ingredients – in that order – and knead for 5 minutes. It should not be sticking to the sides of the bowl.
- After, transfer the dough to another, well-greased bowl and cover it with a towel. Let it rise for 2 hours in a warm place if possible; 30 minutes is pretty much the minimum.
- One hour before baking, preheat the oven to 500°. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Have a cup of water nearby your workstation. Take a fist-sized ball of dough and flatten it out with your hands. Spread the pureed black beans like a sauce. Dip your finger in the water and run it against the inside of the pocket, along the seam; use it to seal the dough. You can make a fancy crust if you want 🙂 Repeat with the remaining dough. You might want to slice a few vents in the top of the calzones.
- Bake for 12 minutes. If you’re tailgating, you could probably grill these calzones too!
- Add this tasty appetizer to your next event – you won’t be sorry 😉