Looking for a Black Bean Calzones with Beer Crust Recipe?
If you made my Billiard Room Black Bean Pizza, you know how delicious it is! With that said, the crust is very easy to make too.
With tailgating season upon us, I wanted to make an easy variation on that recipe. These black bean calzones take pureed black beans with herbs and spices and puts them in a perfect, portable pocket!
Add some salsa – you’re good to go!
I’ve also made these with cashew cheese and basil. I can’t even tell you how amazing they were.
I CAN’T EVEN.
Black Bean Calzones with Beer Crust RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
Makes two medium pizza crusts, probably 6-8 mini calzones
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour (or whole wheat bread flour)
2 c. bread flour or organic all-purpose flour
2 T. yeast
1 tsp. baking powder, aluminum-free
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 bottle of room temperature lager, like Yuengling (12 oz)
- This Black Bean Calzones with Beer Crust Recipe is so easy!
- Using a stand mixer with a dough hook (or your hands), combine all of the ingredients – in that order – and knead for 5 minutes. It should not be sticking to the sides of the bowl.
- After, transfer the dough to another well-greased bowl and cover it with a towel. Let it rise for 2 hours in a warm place if possible; 30 minutes is pretty much the minimum.
- One hour before baking, preheat the oven to 500°. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Have a cup of water nearby your workstation. Take a fist-sized ball of dough and flatten it out with your hands. Spread the pureed black beans like a sauce. Dip your finger in the water and run it against the inside of the pocket, along the seam; use it to seal the dough. You can make a fancy crust if you want 🙂 Repeat with the remaining dough. You might want to slice a few vents in the top of the calzones.
- Bake for 12 minutes. If you’re tailgating, you could probably grill these calzones too!
- Add this tasty appetizer to your next event – you won’t be sorry 😉