This is a dinner, or party appetizer all rolled into one!
I wanted to make a vegan appetizer for book club, and my first thought was some sort of pizza bite thing, but I don’t like using fake soy cheese. Instead, I made this taco-inspired pizza with pureed black beans. It was a big hit at the book club; I paired it with some salsa, guacamole, and fresh cilantro.
It’s the best combination: tex-mex, books, wine, and good girlfriends!
The “billiard room” pizza design was from a Sandra Lee recipe. She’s so cute and inventive!
For this Black Bean Billiard Room Pizza Recipe, I got this beer crust recipe from somewhere online years ago. I can’t remember the blog’s name, and I can’t find it anywhere; I want to thank you, good sir, for your recipe!
Black Bean Billiard Room Pizza RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
Makes two medium pizza crusts
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour (or whole wheat bread flour)
2 c. bread flour or organic all-purpose flour
2 T. yeast
1 tsp. baking powder, aluminum-free
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 bottle of room temperature lager, like Yuengling (12 oz)
- This Black Bean Billiard Room Pizza Recipe is so easy!
- Using a stand mixer with a dough hook (or your hands), combine all of the ingredients – in that order – and knead for 5 minutes. It should not be sticking to the sides of the bowl.
- After, transfer the dough to another well-greased bowl and cover it with a towel. Let it rise for 2 hours in a warm place if possible; 30 minutes is pretty much the minimum.
- One hour before baking, preheat the oven to 500°. Line a pizza stone or pan with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into two pieces; roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch in thickness. Fold the crusts over around the edges. Spread the refried black beans like a sauce.
- Once the beans are on, use a pizza cutter to slice the pizza. Fold over each slice so that the tip of the pizza touches the crust.
- Bake it for about 12 minutes.
- You can serve the pizza however you’d like! I didn’t feel like taking mine off of the pizza stone, so I set up the guacamole right in the middle 🙂
- Enjoy this as dinner or a tailgating treat!