Are you searching for a Poppyseed Shortbread with Orange-infused Vodka Recipe?
Need something delicious and fun to go along with your tea? Look no further! I know that lemon and poppyseeds are a popular combination, but I had some orange-infused vodka on hand, so I decided to do some testing.
The citrus from the zest and orange vodka brighten up any day 🙂
Poppyseed Shortbread with Orange-infused Vodka RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
2 c. organic whole wheat pastry flour, like Bob’s Red Mill
2 tsp. baking powder
1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
Zest of one orange
1 T. poppyseeds
1⁄4 c. orange-infused vodka (learn more about infusing your own liquor!)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1⁄2 c. coconut oil, softened
1⁄2 c. organic non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, like Spectrum (sustainably sourced)
1 c. coconut sugar
1 T. flaxseed, ground
3 T. orange juice
- For the shortbread dough:
- For this Poppyseed Shortbread Recipe, preheat the oven to 375°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
- Mix the flaxseed and tablespoons of orange juice in a small cup. Let it rest for 10 minutes, so it becomes thicker.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, orange zest, and poppy seeds. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar, coconut oil, shortening, and vanilla. Add the orange-infused vodka and flax/orange juice mixture. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- So, there are a few ways to do this: you could either create two large discs to cut it into slices, or you could create cut out cookies. (If you’re looking for the easier option, the two discs are wayyyyy easier.)
- For the discs:
- Take the dough out of the fridge and divide it in half. Work the dough with your hands to loosen it up; press the dough into a disc with a thickness of about a half-inch. Repeat this with the other portion of dough. (If the dough is tough to work with, put a smidge of coconut oil on your hands and continue to knead it until it’s pliable.)
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- For cut out cookies:
- Take the dough out of the fridge and divide it in half. Work the dough with your hands to loosen it up. Add a smidge of coconut oil as needed.
- On a well-floured surface, or between two pieces of parchment, roll the dough to about a half-inch in width. Cut the cookies into the desired shapes and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Place on a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
- Enjoy the burst of orange as you indulge in this delightful shortbread!