In college, my friend Allie made me my first hot toddy. I was sick and, like the amazing person she is, she brought over some chamomile tea and spiced rum. While I’m not sure that it made me feel better, it was delicious and soothing.
In honor of Allie’s gesture, I made these chamomile tea cookies. I chose Kraken rum because it is vegan and my hubby’s favorite rum
Chamomile Kraken Tea CookiesCourse: Uncategorized
2 c. organic whole wheat pastry flour, like Bob’s Red Mill
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 bags of chamomile tea, organic if possible, opened and tea leaves poured out
1/4 tsp. of sea salt
1/2 c. coconut oil, softened
1/2 c. organic non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, like Spectrum (sustainably sourced)
3⁄4 c. coconut sugar
1 T. flaxseed, ground
3 T. spiced rum, like Kraken
1 bag of chamomile tea
Splash of rum
1 1/2 c. pitted dates
Pinch of cinnamon or cardamom
Pinch of sea salt
- For the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- Mix the flaxseed and tablespoons of rum in a small cup. Let it rest for 10 minutes so it becomes thicker.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, tea, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar, coconut oil, and shortening. Add the flax/rum mixture. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- If you have a spritzer gun, load it with 1/3 of the dough. (If you don’t , you can make small, flat discs out of the dough. These cookies don’t spread very much.) Spritz the cookies as directed by your spritz gun onto the cookie sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Repeat this process until all of the dough is gone.
- Place on a cooling rack and let them cool completely.