Hot chocolate is one of those things that I miss. A lot.
As a vegetarian, I get bummed when people give me things with marshmallows in them. I never realized that I liked marshmallows until I can’t eat them anymore. (Pssst: vegetarians/vegans can’t have marshmallows because they contain gelatin, made from boiling animal bones and such. Gross, I know.) I have friends who give me small hot chocolate packets with marshmallows, and I smile and say thank you, but I can’t eat them.
Also, hot chocolate powder packets are just gross too. I know, I grew up on them, but there is so much added sugar and crap in there that you shouldn’t be eating.
So, I came up with a fun alternative. Literal hot chocolate. This Vegan Hot Chocolate Sticks recipe uses Dandies Marshmallows, which are vegan and gluten-free. They taste just like regular marshmallows. Also, use a good quality dark chocolate - you deserve it! Don’t put crap into your body. Trader Joe’s sells these giant “Pound Plus” bars that have no dairy in them (if you buy the dark chocolate one), and they go a long way. You can also pick them up in my Amazon store.
These little Vegan Hot Chocolate Sticks with Bourbon & Marshmallows make great Christmas gifts, or they’re perfect when guests come over. You can also change up the flavour combinations; you can use peppermint schnapps instead of bourbon or add other spices like cardamom, cayenne, or pumpkin pie spices - YUM!
Vegan Hot Chocolate Sticks with Bourbon & MarshmallowsCourse: Uncategorized
1/2 c. pure maple syrup
pinch of cinnamon
1 c. Dandies Marshmallows (available here)
1 - 1 1/2 c. dark chocolate, melted
2 T. vanilla-infused bourbon (learn more about infusing your own liquor!)
a silicon ice cube tray with big cubed holes (I purchased mine at Target)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook the marshmallows, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Stir and cook until the marshmallows are melted. When you remove it from the heat, add your vanilla bourbon and stir. Set it aside.
- Grab your melted chocolate and your ice cube tray. Begin to layer your melted chocolate on the bottom, followed by your marshmallow batter. Top it off with more chocolate. Place the ice cube tray in the freezer for 15 minutes or so. After, insert lollipop sticks into each cube. The chocolate should be firming up, so the stick shouldn’t flop over.
- Tip: I covered my lollipop sticks with festive straws so they look cuter.
- Allow these Vegan Hot Chocolate Sticks with Bourbon & Marshmallows to harden for 4-6 hours in the freezer. When you’re ready, pop them out and place them in little baggies with ribbon. What a cute and practical gift for someone special!
- When you’re making the hot chocolate, heat up some canned coconut milk; it’s thicker and tastes more authentic. I suggest boiling it on the stove and then mixing your chocolate stick in.