A few weeks ago, I shared a Chocolate “Jell-O” Shot with the Espresso Bourbon recipe, and now I’m lightening it up for New Year’s Eve.
As I said in that post, it’s difficult to not join in with others as they make fun (but not vegetarian-friendly) Jell-O shots for parties and special occasions. These Vegan Champagne “Jell-O” Shots are agar substitutes that taste similar to the real thing, and you can decorate them with fun sprinkles and other things.
For this Vegan Champagne “Jell-O” Shots recipe, I used rose champagne. That’s just a personal preference. (Make sure your champagne’s vegan by checking with Barnivore!) To enhance the colour, I added some hibiscus tea, but you can use some cranberry juice. If you go with traditional champagne, you can always use white grape juice or something else light-coloured. It’s up to you!
I bought these cute little shot glasses from a party store; this recipe makes about 4-5 shots. To make the Vegan Champagne “Jell-O” Shots recipe go further, you can use those little plastic containers that people use for tailgating. You wouldn’t have to worry about making them look pretty - you could just hand them out since they’re in travel containers!
Vegan Champagne “Jell-O” Shots for New Year’s EveCourse: Uncategorized
Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie
scant 1 1/2 T. agar agar
1 c. champagne
1/3 c. organic cane sugar
pinch of sea salt
1/4 c. cranberry juice (or other liquid)
- In a small saucepan, combine the champagne and agar agar flakes. Stir to combine and let them sit for 10 minutes or so.
- Turn the heat on to medium and bring the mixture to a boil. Make sure the flakes are dissolved. At this point, add the sugar, salt, and juice.
- Stir to combine. After a minute or two, the mixture should be thickened. Remove it from the heat.
- Pour the mixture into your shot glasses. Allow them to set for a few hours. To get my cute picture, I used a toothpick to loosen the shot, rolled it in vanilla sugar, and placed three sugar pearls on top. Very Gatsby-esque, if I do say so myself.
- Enjoy the sparkle of these Vegan Champagne “Jell-O” Shots! Your family and friends will enjoy them this holiday season!