This Throwback Thursday is throwing it back to April when it was my sweet Clem’s 6th birthday.
Yes, I am one of those crazy dog moms who has parties for their dogs, even when no one else is invited. My husband is resigned to the fact that this will happen. (As a side note, when we had just started dating, I had Clem’s 3rd birthday party; he came over and brought her a new stuffed lion, a yarn ball, and an antler chew. He’s a sucker for this pup!)
I wanted to make her a birthday treat that I could feel good about giving her. These Clem’s Birthday Pup Cakes have applesauce and banana in them, along with other whole-food ingredients. Instead of whole wheat flour, you can use half rice flour and half oat flour. It’s up to you and your dog’s needs.
To give the pup cakes their cupcake look, I “iced” them with some pureed pumpkin. Your pup will love them!
Clem’s Birthday Pup CakesCourse: Uncategorized
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 T. baking powder
1 ripe banana, smushed
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 T. maple syrup
1 cups water
1/2 c. pureed pumpkin, for icing
- Preheat oven to 350*. Grease a cupcake tin with coconut oil. This recipe makes 6 pupcakes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the applesauce, banana, and syrup. While the mixer is running, alternate adding the water and flour mixture. Do this until everything is combined.
- Pour the batter into the six muffin tins. Bake them for about 25 minutes. Insert a toothpick to make sure that it comes out clean.
- Once the pupcakes cool, place the pumpkin puree into a piping bag and decorate your pupcakes. You can top these Birthday Pup Cakes with candles or dog biscuits.
Leave a Reply