If you like cookies, this Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles with Bourbon recipe is for you.
Snickerdoodles are probably my favourite cookies. There are so many variations out there…and not all of them are good. A few years ago, I saw a recipe for pumpkin spice snickerdoodles and they were not that good. I was severely disappointed.
Let me tell you: follow this Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles recipe – and even add the cayenne pepper – and you will not be disappointed. My non-sweet-loving husband even said that these are really good (and ate three of them). The flavour profile is so complex that it just makes your mouth a little confused, then extremely happy.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with almond flour, it’s essentially almonds that are ground up into a meal or fine powder. You can get it online or in most speciality grocery stores; with the gluten-free craze, you can find it almost anywhere now! It adds a healthy dab of protein to these cookies. (Both Trader Joe’s and Wegman’s make their own almond flour; it’s reasonably priced, about $4.99/lb.)
If you don’t want to use almond flour or have an allergy, add whole wheat pastry flour instead 🙂
Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles with BourbonCourse: Uncategorized
Adapted from Post Punk Kitchen
1 c. organic whole wheat pastry flour, like Bob’s Red Mill
2/3 c. almond flour (or more regular flour)
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder, like Guittard
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (trust me, it’s GOOD)
3 T. vanilla or cacao-infused bourbon (learn more about infusing your own liquors!)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. pure maple syrup
1/2 c. coconut sugar
1/2 c. coconut oil, softened
1/3 c. vegan sugar, for topping
1 tsp. cinnamon, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour(s), cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, cayenne, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, cream the coconut oil and sugar. Add the bourbon, milk, and syrup. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet mix.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough and press it into the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Transfer the dough to the prepared sheet and flatten it out slightly. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes.
- I’m not exaggerating when I say that these are some of the best Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles with Bourbon cookies I’ve ever had. They smell phenomenal and taste even better.