Yesterday, I mentioned that hubs and I were on a mini-vacation last week. We made some Fall Spice Crepes with Nutella, and today’s recipe is a Pumpkin Spice French Toast. This Vegan Pumpkin Spice French Toast has a good texture and is quite spicy, but I think the spice is what gives it the kick that it needs.
When you’re trying to make vegan French toast, it’s often challenging to get the right consistency. My baked French Toast Casserole tastes good, but if you want a single piece of French toast, this is your recipe!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice French ToastCourse: Uncategorized
2/3 c. pureed pumpkin
1 1/2 to 2 T. cinnamon (I’m heavy-handed with my cinnamon!)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 T. vanilla-infused bourbon (learn more about infusing your own liquor!)
3 T. pure maple syrup
1 1/4 c. almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
2 T. coconut flour
6-8 pieces of bread*
*This can be made gluten-free if you use the appropriate bread 🙂
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray it well with a non-stick cooking spray, like a coconut oil-based one. You don’t want your toast to stick!
- In a bowl (or blender), combine all of the ingredients, except for the bread, of course. The mixture should be smooth.
- Quickly dip each side of your bread into the thick mixture. You don’t want the bread to be too saturated. One quick dip will do the trick.
- Place the toast in your hot skillet. Don’t touch it for a solid two minutes! This helps the ingredients meld together and caramelize. If you touch it too soon, it will get weird. Flip it after 2 minutes or so and cook for another 2-3 minutes. It should be slightly browned on both sides.
- Respray the pan and repeat this process until all of the batter is gone. Once you feel confident, you can try your hand at cooking two pieces at once 🙂
- My non-vegan husband raved about this Vegan Pumpkin Spice French Toast. He said that you couldn’t even tell that it was dairy-free. I think that the spices help with that – be sure to spice yours up!