I love these Summer S’more Cups.
Last summer, I made Homemade Bourbon S’mores that are very delicious in their own right. I wanted to make a portable, less messy alternative to those s’mores.
Those on a plant-based diet or who have food allergies know that struggle of finding appropriate marshmallows. Dandies brand tastes legit and they’re gluten-free, vegan, and non-GMO (plus corn syrup-free)! They’re kind of expensive online, but you can get a bag at Wegmans for $4.99.
The maple syrup in this recipe replaces the honey in traditional graham crackers and you honestly can’t tell! These cookie cups still have that special sweetness that only graham crackers have. The chewy ganache/chocolate sauce pairs so well with the cups and the marshmallows.
You can even un-booze this recipe for your kids, although the amount in this recipe is negligible. Everyone can enjoy this fun summer treat!
Note: Although I made 12 large cupcake-sized s’mores, the cookies are thick. If you want smaller portions, consider using a mini muffin tin.
Summer S’mores CupsCourse: Uncategorized
Recipe adapted from my own Homemade Bourbon S’mores
Homemade Graham Cups (see recipe below)
6 Large Dandies Vegan Marshmallows, halved (from the store or Amazon)
Homemade Chocolate Sauce (see recipe below)
- For the cookies*
2 ½ c. organic whole wheat pastry flour, like Bob’s Red Mill
½ c. flax seed, ground
½ tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ c. coconut oil, softened
½ c. organic non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, like Spectrum
¾ c. coconut sugar
2 T. pure maple syrup
2 T. bourbon (I used my cardamom-infused bourbon – so good!)
- For the chocolate sauce
1-2 T. coconut oil
1/3 c. carob or unsweetened cocoa powder (I used dark cocoa)
4-5 T. pure maple syrup
pinch of sea salt
splash of bourbon
*For a gluten-free twist, use my recipe for Boozy Chocolate Graham Crackers.
- Directions for the Graham Cups
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil or shortening.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, flax, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar, coconut oil, shortening, maple syrup and bourbon. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop a dollop of dough into each muffin tin. You should get at least 12 cups from this recipe. Press the dough down and press the sides up with your fingers — now you’re making little cups.
- Bake the cups for about 15 minutes and remove them from the oven. When they come out, with a spoon in one hand and an oven mitt in the other, gently press the spoon into each cup and help to reshape it after baking.
- Allow them to cool.
- Directions for the Chocolate Sauce
- In a microwave safe container (or you can do this on the stove too), add the sauce ingredients – except for the bourbon – and microwave for 20 seconds. Stir the mixture and microwave again for 20 seconds. Stir it again and now it’s ready to go – how easy is that?!
- If the sauce gets too thick, you can always reheat it for a few seconds, but beware — this mixture can curdle, and then you have to start all over.
- Place a dollop of chocolate sauce in each cookie cup. Next, add the halved marshmallow in. Use a butane torch to toast your marshmallow. (Alternately, you can broil your marshmallows in the oven to toast them. I tried both methods, and I prefer the butane torch method. You have more control over the outcome!)
- After, drizzle additional chocolate sauce on the s’more cups. Be as liberal or dainty as you’d like. Add sprinkles if that suits your fancy.
- Something to remember: at room temperature, the chocolate sauce will dry and stabilize as a ganache; if these cups are sitting outside in the hot sun, it will melt again and be a gooey (but delicious) mess. It’s something to remember if you’re picnicking 🙂
- Enjoy these cups by microwaving them for a few seconds before eating. They are the perfect way to celebrate the summer!