- Kale contains antioxidants and iron, which aid cell growth and protect the body;
- Linseeds, commonly known as flaxseeds, contain omega 3 for a healthier brain.
- heart and immune system (true superfood)
- tempeh, pumpkin seeds, mushrooms, kale, and avocado provide a powerful protein boost (over 60g);
- Magnesium from pumpkin seeds may help with a variety of important bodily functions.
- cashews’ heart-health advantages, including their ability to reduce cholesterol;
- a filling meal that isn’t as filling as it appears!
Kale Caesar Salad RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
- I converted the metric measurements for you!
For the tempeh bacon:
200g tempeh (about 7 oz)
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp liquid smoke
3 tbsp tamari, or other good soy sauce
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
optional: 5g melted coconut oil (1/2 tsp solid)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
- For the salad:
200g kale (1 cup) / cavolo nero + 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp good oil (such as rapeseed, flaxseed or olive oil), ½ tsp Himalayan pink salt (or other good salt)
200g chestnut mushrooms (1 cup) + 1 tsp good oil, 3 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp liquid aminos (or soy sauce), pinch cayenne pepper
200g vine or baby tomatoes, sliced in half (1 cup)
70g fresh basil (about 1/3 cup)
1 avocado, roughly chopped
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp golden linseeds
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tsp sesame seeds
- For the Caesar dressing:
70g pre-soaked cashews (about 1/3 cup)
80 ml water (about 1/3 cup)
1 tbsp good oil
2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
1½ tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
4 cloves garlic, roasted
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt & pepper, to taste
- For this Kale Caesar Salad Recipe, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Slice the tempeh as finely as possible before serving. Carefully arrange the slices in a tray, then mix the marinade ingredients in a cup and pour over them. Keep the mixture aside.
- Breakaway the rough centre stalk of the kale and add the leafy parts with the oil, salt, and lemon juice in a big mixing bowl. Massage the ingredients together for about a minute, as though you were kneading bread dough.
- The mushrooms should be washed, dried, and sliced. Combine these with the ginger, aminos, and cayenne in a separate dish.
- Drizzle any leftover marinade over the tempeh bacon slices on a parchment-lined plate. Cook for 20 minutes on the top shelf of the oven, flipping halfway through. (Place the four garlic cloves for the Caesar dressing on the tray while you transform the tempeh.)
- Remove the tempeh from the oven and peel the garlic that has been roasted.
- To make the dressing, pulse all of the ingredients (except the garlic) until smooth in a food processor. Season to taste and make the required adjustments.
- To make the dish, gently toss the kale with tomatoes, avocado, mushrooms, basil, pumpkin, and linseeds.
- Once the tempeh is crumbled (or held as slices), add the sesame and chia seeds and drizzle over the dressing.
- *Soak the cashew nuts in water for at least two hours before using; this can be achieved overnight and stored in the fridge.
- *You can easily adapt this recipe to your preferences and what you have on hand by substituting apple cider vinegar for red wine vinegar, using an unrefined seed oil, or substituting a gluten-free soy sauce.