Today is the first post in a series of Halloween-related recipes!
If you’ve never tried to make your own candy, you might want to try it – it’s simple and quick.
When I first made these peppermint patties, I was floored with how tasty they are! You can’t even tell that there are coconut flakes and cashews in them.
Not only are these healthier for you than traditional peppermint patties, but they are gluten-free and vegan!
Homemade Peppermint PattiesCourse: Uncategorized
2/3 c. cashews, raw
2/3 c. unsweetened coconut flakes
2-4 T. coconut oil, softened
4-6 T. pure maple syrup
1-2 T. peppermint schnapps, to taste (or peppermint extract, if you have no schnapps!)
pinch of sea salt
dairy-free chocolate, for coating
1-2 tsp. coconut oil
OR raw chocolate sauce coating
- In a food processor, combine the ingredients (except for the coating/topping ingredients) – it’s that easy! Process the mixture until it reaches your desired smoothness level, scraping the sides several times to make sure everything is incorporated.
***A word to the wise: add the peppermint a little at a time and taste it along the way – you don’t want to make it too powerful!
- Take the batter and, using a cookie scoop, scoop out a dollop onto a parchment-lined tray. Don’t worry too much about the shape; you can fix that later. Repeat until you’ve used all of the batter. Once you’re done, place the tray into the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to coat the truffles, take them out of the freezer and shape them with your hands; you may want to pat them down to give them a more uniform shape.
- After, in an microwave-safe cup, melt about a cup of chocolate chips with the coconut oil. (Combine both in the cup and microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and then microwave for another 30 seconds. This should give you smooth chocolate.)
- Dip the truffles in the chocolate or dump the chocolate on top of each one. I do recommend that after you’re done coating them, place them back on parchment; they’ll be easier to pry off.
- if you want to make these items raw, omit the booze and use my chocolate sauce recipe and dunk your truffles. So easy.